Depression – Seeking to Help
When seeking to help someone suffering from depression it is important to show unconditional love and listen with a non-judgemental attitude.
The suffering of depressed people among us is a call for us to help by reaching out and giving unconditional love and acceptance, and offering encouragement as we come alongside to help them move forward. Many of us have suffered from depression and can identify with those who are depressed. Our goal is not to enable. Our goal is to encourage them to reach out for help, to set goals, to change their thought pattern, seek God and learn more of Him as they search for stability and peace.
Suggestions for encouraging people suffering from depression.
- 1. Come alongside showing unconditional love and acceptance.
- 2. Encourage a healthy nutritious eating plan.
- 3. Pray with them and encourage Bible reading and prayer.
- 4. Listening is more important than giving advice.
- 5. Share and encourage listening to inspirational music.
- 6. Support them setting aside time for exercising, walks in the park, hobbies, family and friends.
- 7. Encourage fun times and laughter with an invitation to a movie or a concert.
- 8. Remember the power of touch and kind words.
- 9. Keep in touch by phone, occasional visits, or plan lunch on a regular basis.
- 10. Send an occasional encouraging card.
- 11. Plan a fun trip to the beach, mountains, or a picnic with friends.
- 12. Help and encourage them in setting goals to move forward.
- 13. Encourage them to seek medical help from a doctor who treats depression.
People Caring for Family and Friends
For people who care for family and friends suffering from depression it is important to care for yourself and your own emotional needs while seeking to help others.
Suffering from Depression?
For those suffering from depression – every day we have a choice. I understand how difficult making a choice can be, struggling to get out of bed, the stress of getting dressed, driving to work, interacting with people, and muddling through another day. My prayer is that you will refuse to surrender to depression and seek help to rid yourself of those thoughts and feelings that are robbing you of happiness and the joy of friends and family.
If you are suffering from depression, I encourage you to see your doctor or a counselor.
Great is his faithfulness: his mercies begin afresh each day. Lamentations 3:23
September 13, 2015